Thursday, August 18, 2016

Phone stand

There are times you just need to stand.
Well, my phone does, anyway.



This was a 30 minute print.  I just needed something to stand my phone on, and found this on Thingiverse.  It folds very small, and has a hole for a key chain.

I haven't been printing much as I've been distracted by not being in the office, so I'm guessing it's time for another calibration.  The bottoms are a little rough, and not completely filled in, and the pin that printed with the sides, well, didn't really.  It tried to print half of the pin before it degraded into some fuzzy nuclear accident.  I replaced that part with a round toothpick I wrapped in several layers of scotch tape, which works really well.

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Nameplate redux

The first re-try of the nameplate through a filament error about 85-90% in.  So I took it as a sign to re-design.  After redesign, I printed at low resolution, which did not take with the lower text at all.  The last/bottom on is the final version.

There is a ghost of text and some pooling around the bottom text.  I need to check out the model to see where that ghost text is coming from, and how I can clean up the pooling.

Otherwise, a decent nameplate I think.  And I think I get printing in 2 colors.  Now on to some more complex shapes i think....



Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Nameplate trial 1

This is the first trial print of a name plate for my desk.  Drawin in Sketchup, I originally planned to use this project to figure out how to print with both colors, as it's advertised to be abel to so.  Haven't found that part yet...

The glue on the glass must have dried too quickly, because the larger print here started shifting, and lifted from the plate, ruining the build.

Still, I used it to verify that is does fir into the nameplate holder like a glove, although it needs to be a bit longer.  So I can revise, and keep trying to hunt down the 2 color mode.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Simple machine

The next step in my printing adventure, to print a simple machine.  Rather it has a movable part.  Something else I can use, a guitar string winder.  This was found on the Thingiverse, and it snaps together so I can see how well that goes.  There was a suggestion posted to print it at 105% for a better fit, so I set that as well.

It printed well at premium settings; although a little blotchy.  Some sanding was needed for it to be put together.  It turns nice, but does not 'snap' together really.






Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Sending up the bat signal

Wanted to take a short break and so this turned out to be about a 30 minute project (30 minutes to draw, 30 minutes to print).  Someone wanted a bat-keychain, and a simple one.  A million models of this kind of thing exists... but I decided to try to draw it form scratch.

I found an appropriate bat-logo design image, and imported it into Sketchup.  I ended up having to install the bezier curve extension to get the right bat curves, and also the STL extension so that I could export the finished model for use in the 3d printer.  I was stymied for a moment on how to make the ending shape a face, but just drawing one line on top of it make Sketchup recognize the face.

I also drew it too large, and by accident, found out how to resize the whole model so that it was 4 inches wide total.



4 inches turns out to be too big.  He will want the finished project half this size.

Printing was interesting - I printed it at the lowest resolution and least filled (Draft version), and I'm happy with it.  it is filled with a wide crosshatching, and the first 2 solid layers over that drooped naturally.

I'm going to keep this as a scroll saw template project.  But this now makes me curious about very tiny prints....

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Day 1.5 - Super Key Chain

So Jessica decided to test the machine on a simple Superman (tm) keychain.  The end result - it will probably hold on to a keychain...

It's a bit lumpier than we thought, and she's going to clean it up and paint it.

Moreover, we learned more - we tried to print it twice, and it started messing up immediately, clumping the filament.  To fix this, we first cleaned the plate and re-applied the glue (this machine wants to use glue instead of blue tape, but I think we may try the tape at some point).

Next, we leveled the plate.  We had originally thought it had an auto plate leveler, but no.  We started the leveling program, and slid paper under the nozzles, adjusting the knobs underneath to get juuuuust the right fit.

The third time was the charm, and the keychain printed.